Thursday, August 20, 2009

Washington Lake Dog Park - Washington Township, NJ

I have decided to do a review of local dog parks. First on my list is Washington Lake Dog Park in Washington Township, NJ.
This is a membership only park. You may register up to 2 dogs. The dogs must have a current rabies vaccination and proof of registration with your township. The cost is $10 per dog if you live in Washington Township and $20 if you live outside of the township.

The pros of this dog park:
  • It has an area for smaller dogs and one for larger dogs.
  • There are waste bags for you to clean up your dog's poo, if needed. These have been stocked each time I have been there.
  • There is a water fountain for humans and dogs outside of the fenced area.
  • Each fenced area is very large and spacious.
The cons of this dog park:
  • It is heavily wooded. I witnessed a couple of dogs run into a tree while playing with other dogs.
  • Because of it being wooded there is more of a chance of ticks.
  • It is not free.
  • I think there could be more bench seating provided.
  • Dogs are not allowed in the rest of the park so you can not go for a walk outside of the dog park section with your dog.
This is the view walking up to the dog park section.
Here are the bags for picking up your dog poo and also of the water fountians.
I met this gentleman and his constant companion Patches.
Another dog I met at the dog park seemed to sit on the bench and just wait for her turn to have her picture taken.

If you see me at the dog park, say Hello and tell me you read the review on my blog!

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jane!

    Great idea to blog the Jersey Dog Parks. Maybe it will get more folks to lobby for DP's in their hometowns as well.

    I've suggested numerous times that they clear a few of the smaller trees out from amoung the larger. It would allow us to keep the shade but give the dogs a clearer path to run up close to the entrances.

    My male Smooth Collie Cowan loves to get a good run going with the other dogs, but he always leads it to the back of the large dog area because it is slightly more open. Unfortunately most of the dogs are not comfortable going so far away from their owners so Cowan must lead the gang through the trees.

    I've also observed several people run into the trees while trying to get their dogs. Not an entirely safe place whether man or beast.

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete