Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A Fork in the Road

Bookmark and Share



I felt a nostalgic type of edit would be fitting for this picture given my thoughts and mood at the time.

This image started out as a fun idea for me. As I was driving my kids home from the zoo today I came to a fork in the road and I saw this image in my head. It is one of the things I love about photography, seeing an image in my mind and making it come to life in a photograph.

As I laid in the road, camera in hand, my son watching for cars...I suddenly saw a symbolic meaning to the image I was creating.

When you come to a fork in the road you are traveling down one road and have to decide which way to go, to the left or to the right. Usually you would think of a fork in the road as the other way around, going down the handle and coming to the prongs where you need to make a choice of which road to take.

In this image, you are beginning at the fork choices and no matter which one you take, it will lead you to the same road in the end.

I thought to myself, how alike this is to my life and the choices I have to make with cancer treatments. (I have a cancer that is incurable) No matter what choice I make for treatment, because there are many different roads I could take in treating and maintaining this cancer, it will eventually lead me to the same road in the end...

Now that I went all sentimental and made this blog post very depressing, I want to be clear...there has been much progress in research and discovery for treatments of FNHL in recent years. No doubt, that will continue and a cure could be found in my lifetime. Until then, I expect the current treatments available will sustain me for a very long time. But these are the types of thoughts people with cancer live with every day. A simple idea, can turn and remind you of the reality of what you are facing.

Despite my ramblings, I hope you smiled when you first saw this "fork in the road" picture! That was my original intention.

10 comments:

  1. Very clever and thoughtful. So true how cancer changes how we look at everything! It is hard to make these tough treatment decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Jane. Very creative!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are so many stuggles in life period. We all have to choose which path we want to take when we get to our forks in the road. Your image has so many meanings and will resonate with many...I'm sure of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful, absolutely beautiful - just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Jane, You are still so in the front of my mind. You are right, you are at a fork, and I'm sure the path ahead of you is scary ... but I still stand firm that I know with all my being that you will be healed.

    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane,

    I love it!

    Depressing please girl, you speak your mind!!!

    It's unfortunate that cancer has taken over a large amount of people in my life time and yours, it's my goal to share my story in hopes of helping others in the next generation, not to have to deal with cancer or how to better handle themself with the care that is surfacing daily. You sharing yours as well is and has already touched so many people, count me as one. If we wait for people to understand us, we will wait for the rest of our life.

    Ultimately, in the end guys, cancer or no cancer, we all will end up in the same place!!! So I hope!

    peace love and happiness...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all! Your comments and love mean so much to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane,
    My mom told me about this pic and your blog on it. I hadn't seen the picture until tonight and it was almost exactly as I pictured in my mind.
    My first thought was: There are many paths down, but only one Up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Bryan. That's a great perspective on it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This photo did make me smile.....and I loved your thought process along the way.

    ReplyDelete