Sunday, June 15, 2008

We Want the Truth

I just read an article at CNN. It was about Oncologists not telling their patients when the time is nearing the end and there isn't really anything left they can do. Giving false hope that they will get better. Now, this isn't refering to my own situation. There are a lot of treatment options for me right now and over the next few years. But there very well may come a time that those treatment options are no more. After a while, they lose the effect. Do I want to be told when that's it? No more treatment options are available for me? I sure do!! I hope this study that was done changes the way many Oncologists address this to their patients. When there isn't any more treatment options, I think the patient has the right to know. I certainly wouldn't want to live the last days of my life hooked up to machines, hanging on by a thread just hoping that I will get better because my doctor tells me there is still hope. I would want to be home with my family, living life as best as I could, even if that means my days on earth would be less. How much better would those extended days be if I were looked to machines, half awake, not able to talk?
I watched The Bucket List the other day. It inspired me to write my own "Bucket List". Fortunately, I have many days left to complete my list before I kick the bucket due to FNHL. Ofcourse, we never really know how many days we have left. It could all end in the blink of an eye. Until then, I will live life, I will enjoy life, I will dance like there is no tomorrow (not in public though, it is a scary sight) and I will make sure my husband knows my wishes for when my time does come near to an end.

2 comments: