Thursday, June 28, 2007

Praying Mantis

I have a huge bug-fobia. Certain insects can put me in a panic attack, such as the evil cricket :::shudders:: But for some reason, the praying mantis is one of a very select few that does not creep me out. Maybe because I rarely see one? Maybe because, as a child, I was always told they were illegal to kill. Maybe because of the word "praying" in it's name. Maybe because I know they eat yuckier bugs. Maybe a mixture of all thoise reasons. When I do see one, I just have to stop and take a good look at it. The one I came across the other day, stayed very still for me and even seemed to look at me, just waiting for me to take her picture. She was a little one, a baby I assume.
The name Praying Mantis as I understand it means "praying" because of it looking like it is praying and "mantis" which means prophet. It seemed suiting that I find a baby praying mantis as I now have so many people that are praying for me. People I dont even know, people who I know from the internet, people I know in my every day life, people my friends and family who have asked to pray for me, ect... My battle with cancer has only just begun, just in it's infancy, like the praying mantis I found. Mantis, a prophet, telling me that people are praying for me in the beginning of this battle maybe?
It meant something extra this time that I was able to meet a praying mantis. It has been a couple of years since I have seen one and yes, I just had to take her picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment