Thursday, July 3, 2008

Recipe with Kale

I've never made anything with Kale before. Last night I did. I confess, I rarely measure anything precisely. I usually just put in what looks like a tablespoon, or what looks like 2 cups ect... so these sizes will be estimates. I usually see recipes and I change up the things I want to change. Like with this, the original recipe called for chicken stock, I substitue with vegetable stock. Thigs like that. This was so flavorful. It was a little too sweet the way I made it so I would probably just leave out the sugar next time. I think I might try adding chickpeas to this next time as well.
But this was quick and easy, a nice summer time dish.

Sweet and Sour Kale

INGREDIENTS

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
3 teaspoons white sugar
2 tablespoon cider vinegar
2 cups vegetable broth
2 bunches of torn and rinsed kale
1/2 cup dried cranberries or dried cherries
salt and pepper to taste
sliced almonds

DIRECTIONS
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic; cook and stir until the onion softens and turns translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the mustard, sugar, vinegar, and vegetable stock, and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in the kale, cover, and cook 5 minutes until wilted.
Stir in the dried cranberries/cherries, and continue boiling, uncovered, until the liquid has reduced by about half, and the cranberries/cherries have softened, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with sliced almonds before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment