Monday, March 17, 2008

Grape Nuts Roast

As you know, I have been trying to eat much healthier. Including switching to a vegetarian diet about 9 months ago. Then changing over to vegan a few months ago. I have decided that changing to vegan is not going to work for me at this point. So back to vegetarian which is very doable for me. In the mean time I have been struggling with coming up with meals that are balanced with a good amount of protein. Meals that help "replace meat". That give a similar feeling as just having eaten a meat meal. Meals that are not always beans.
I had bought a box of Grape Nuts cereal last month and found out nobody in the family likes Grape Nuts cereal. I didn't want to waste a whole box of cereal so I looked online for a recipe that included Grape Nuts. I was sure there had to be some ingenious person who came up with a decent recipe to use it in. Sure enough, someone had come up with a recipe for Grape Nuts Roast. So thank you, Sandee Eveland, for coming up with this recipe.
I tried it out and WOW. We were surprised to find that it gave a nice meat feeling when eating it. You make it in a bread pan and it comes out sort of like a meatloaf. It is very good and even better I thought, when you ate it with a little catsup like a meatloaf. Oh, and did I mention it is very easy to make too?

GRAPE NUTS ROAST

1 c Grape nuts
2 ea Beaten eggs (or egg replacer)
1 1/2 c Milk (dairy, soy or almond milk)
3/4 c Chopped nuts (I buy already chopped almonds in a bag from Trader Joe's)
1 ts Grated onion (or powdered onion if you don't have fresh onion in the house)
1 c Chopped celery (optional, I didn't use any)
1 ts Salt
2 tb Margarine

Combine all ingredients.
Let stand for 20 minutes.
Pour into a greased loaf pan.
Bake at 350F for 35 minutes.

Recipe by: Sandee Eveland
Serve with a green leafy salad and you have a nice complete meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment