Monday, January 28, 2008

Vegan Poop

I believe I have mentioned that I have received some apprehension of changing over to a vegetarian diet from 2 of my sons. They are my oldest sons, ages 13 and 18. My oldest son has taken pictures with his phone to show his friends vegetarian meals I have prepared and made him eat. We have hit a new level, now that I am transitioning to vegan from vegetarian.
In attempt to heal my body of follicular non-hodgkins Lymphoma I have also been trying to keep sugar out of my diet.
I miss sweets! So I tried to come up with a healthier natural candy/dessert that I could indulge in. When my 13 yr old son CJ came into the kitche and saw me making something, he asked me what it was. Before I could answer he piped in, "Uh Oh, is this vegan?"

I replied with a "yes"

He said, "It looks like vegan poop!"

So, this recipe has been affectionately named Vegan Poop curtesy of CJ. My 5 yr old daughter and I LOVE this sweet treat.





Vegan Poop


  • 1 cup rolled oats

  • 1 cup almonds

  • 2 cups raisins (I prefer Newman's Own organic raisins)

  • 1 tbsp. Brown Rice Syrup*

  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg

  • 2 tsp. cinnamon

  • extra cinnamon to coat after mixed together

This is so quick and easy plus there is no baking involved!

Put the almonds, oats, nutmeg and cinnamon in a food processor and let it run until it is finely chopped into almost a dust, like flour. Then add in the raisins, and brown rice syrup. Let the food processor run until the mixture pretty much rolls up into a big ball (this can take a little while). Take it out of the food processor and place it in a bowl. You can refrigerate it now for an hour or more to make it a little easier to work with or you can go ahead to take pieces and roll into logs about 2 inches long and half an inch wide. Then place them in a bowl of cinnamon and roll them in the cinnamon to coat. Another option rather then the logs is to roll them into marble sized or a little larger balls and roll them in the cinnamon to coat. Refrigerate once made and they will last quite a few days. I am finding I like them in the little balls so I can just grab one when I go in the fridge and just pop it into my mouth. They really make a great quick little treat to satisfy that sweet craving.
Ofcourse, use all organic ingredients if possible for the healthiest treat.
*You could use honey instead of Brown Rice Syrup

2 comments:

  1. Vegan Poop... How funny and cute is that! I think it sounds good to me with all the ingrediaents. Does eating Vegan making everyone feel betrer and have more energy? I 'm sure everyone is feeling much healthier!

    Good for you that your entire family has changed their diet. I'm just trying to get my own family off of white bread and diet sodas (Jeff). Give me some tips..please.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pamela I wish I could tell everyone it has made us all feel healthier but we have all been so sick since January!
    Just kick Jeff in the pants and tell he has to eat what you cook! lol I don't know, Jim is a willing participant in this so it makes it easy in that respect.

    ReplyDelete