Sunday, July 15, 2007

Positive Thinking or Denial?

New York Times article on Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma

The cancer I have, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma was written about recently in the New York Times. Every time I read something about it, it smacks me the face with the reality of it all. It is a short article and reads easily to understand the basics of the disease. Reading yet again, "cannot be cured" and "typically, patients survive about 10 years after their initial diagnosis" Yes, some have survived longer but that is the average 7 - 10 years.
I try not to think about those things and yet I know I have to. I need to make sure my family is prepared. If I make it to 10 years my youngest child will then be 14 - 15 years old. This is one of those dark days that I have to force myself to face what may happen and to think about what I can do now to make things easier for my family to go on without me later.
I try to stay positive most of the time but where do you draw the line between staying positive and being in denial of reality?
I used to say that denial was my friend. Denial helped comfort me from painful thoughts and memories. Denial has now become my enemy, something I feel I have to fight right along side my fight with this incurable cancer.

1 comment: